Our Children’s Ministries program serves children from birth to 5th grade and their families. Our goal is to provide quality programming that encourages children to develop their relationship with God, the church community, and the world around them.
Monthly News From Children's Ministries - May 2017
On the first Sunday of each month we invite children age 3 - 5th grade to join us in the Christ Child Chapel at 10:30. Here we will experience a kid-friendly Liturgy of the Word, after which we will join our families in the sanctuary at the Peace.
· Last month the children went to Episcopal Church Homes and made door hangers with the residents.
· We are currently working on a project tying fleece blankets for our graduating high school seniors.
May 21st is “Recognition Sunday.” This is when we recognize everyone involved in Faith Formation. It takes a LOT of dedicated volunteers to make our children’s programs so successful – even when our enrollment is small. I would like to especially thank some of those key people:
· Sunday School – Teachers and assistants present lessons on a rotating schedule Sept – May. Thank you to Kathy Ackerman, Jean Darnell, Carol Duff, Chris Huntley, and Craig Hunner.
· Children’s Chapel – Becky Lucas has been leading this new monthly opportunity.
· Nursery – Volunteers serve in pairs about once a month to provide a warm, welcoming environment to our youngest parishioners – and a quiet worship opportunity for their parents. Thank you to Allison Jensen, Becky Lucas, Bill Cross, Connie Hendrick, Ebie Richards, Janet Campanaro, Jean Crow, and Mary Friend. Most of these dedicated folks have been volunteering for 2-3 years - it would be great to get some new help. Contact Marion if this opportunity interests you!
· Bulletin Boards, Decorations, and Poster displays (anything artistic!!) Thank you to Darlene Cross, Karen Hanna, and Jane Suilman
St. Christopher’s will be walking in the Roseville Parade on Monday, June 26! Mark your calendars and watch for details. The more the merrier!
Vacation Bible School (VBS) July 17-21st - Information and Registration is available on our website. Paper copies are available on the Children’s Ministries bulletin board across from the Children’s Library.
I am still looking for some youth and/or adults to a) run our Games Station and b) take pictures. Please let me know if you would like more details – you do not have to be available all 5 days to help.
July 24 – 28: Episcopal Creative Arts Daycamp will run from 9am – 3pm at St. Mark’s Cathedral. (PK-5th grade). For more information go to www.ourcathedral.org
Children in Liturgy
We encourage families to sit near the front of the church so that they can see what is happening throughout the service. We welcome children of all ages, and we understand that this means a little more noise and commotion. We also offer a Soft Space in the back of the church for parents and their young children who need more space to move, and nursery care is also available. At the end of each service the Deacon invites all children to join her at the baptismal font for the dismissal. In addition, we encourage children to sign up to be Gift Bearers and Acolytes
Nursery (Children 0-4 years)
Our nursery is staffed by a team of eight rotating volunteers. They are scheduled in pairs, and they arrive in the nursery 10 minutes prior to the service so that parents can get their children settled before heading upstairs to the sanctuary. If there are no children in the nursery by 10 minutes into the service, the volunteers will join the liturgy in the sanctuary.
We offer several special events throughout the year that encourage community building and outreach. Some of our most popular are the Hayride, Putting Away Alleluias, Dramatic Sermon, Bingo (at Episcopal Church Homes), Bowling, and Pizza, and Easter Activities. Over the summer we offer Vacation Bible School.